Discord’s Latest Updates: A Comprehensive Guide to the Popular Chat App
Discord is a popular chat app that has gained a massive following in recent years. The app was initially designed for gamers, but it has since expanded to include a wide range of communities and interests. Discord allows users to create and join servers, which are essentially chat rooms that can be customized to fit the needs of the community. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide to Discord’s latest updates, including its new features, improvements, and how to use them.
What Is Discord App?
Discord is a chat app that allows for video chat, voice chat, and text chat. The app was initially designed for gamers, but it has since expanded to include a wide range of communities and interests. The Discord App developer is Discord Inc, and the headquarters are in San Francisco, California. Discord was founded by Jason Citron.
Discord allows users the ability to start their own Discord server, and within that server, they can have many different channels or rooms. The Discord app download is available via a Discord phone app and on desktop computers. While this app started out with the intention of targeting desktop gamers, the uses have grown far and wide. There are now many benefits to utilizing Discord for your company, whether you are a gaming company or not.
Benefits of Using Discord:
- Custom Emojis: Custom emojis are one of the most popular features of Discord. Users can create their own emojis and use them in their servers.
- Voice and Text Chat: Discord allows users to communicate with each other via voice and text chat. This makes it easy to connect with friends and other members of the community.
- Customizable Servers: Discord servers can be customized to fit the needs of the community. This includes custom roles, channels, and permissions.
- Screen Sharing: Discord allows users to share their screens with others, making it easy to collaborate on projects or play games together.
- Bots: Discord bots can be added to servers to perform a wide range of functions, such as moderating chat, playing music, and providing information.
Did you hear that global financial institutions experienced a decrease in regulatory penalties during the first half of 2023? According to a report by Fenergo, global financial institutions paid just $189.1 million in fines during the first half of 2023, compared to $1.6 billion in the same period in 2022. This represents an 88% decrease in fines.
Discord’s Latest Updates
Discord has recently introduced several new features that enhance the user experience and make it easier to connect with others. Some of the key new features of Discord include:
- Stage Channels: Discord’s new stage channels allow users to host live audio events, such as Q&A sessions, interviews, and performances. Stage channels are designed to be more interactive and engaging than traditional voice channels, allowing users to participate in real-time and ask questions.
- Threaded Conversations: Discord’s new threaded conversations allow users to reply to specific messages within a channel, making it easier to follow conversations and keep track of important information.
- Custom Status: Discord’s new custom status feature allows users to set a custom status message that appears next to their username. This can be used to share what you’re doing, how you’re feeling, or anything else you want to share with your friends and community.
- Server Video: Discord’s new server video feature allows users to upload and share videos directly within a server. This makes it easier to share content and collaborate with others.
- Server Templates: Discord’s new server templates allow users to create and share custom server setups, making it easier to create and manage servers for specific communities and interests.
Discord Data Breach
Discord, the popular communication platform used by gamers and non-gamers alike, has suffered from several data breaches in 2023. Here are some of the details surrounding these breaches:
- Support Agent Hacking:
In May 2023, Discord disclosed a data breach after one of its support agents’ accounts was hacked. This breach granted hackers the ability to retrieve user data stored on the agent’s ticketing queue. Discord immediately revoked the compromised account once the security incident was identified. The breach potentially exposed users’ email addresses, Discord supports chat logs, and any attachments accompanying them.
- Discord.io Breach:
In August 2023, Discord.io, a third-party service allowing users to create custom Discord invites, confirmed a data breach after a hacker stole 760,000 users’ data. The breach prompted the custom invite service to temporarily shut down. The hacker stole data on service tickets, which included personal information like driver’s license numbers, for 180 users. Discord is reaching out to affected users and advising them to change their passwords and monitor their accounts for suspicious activity. They also started notifying users about Data Breaches as you can see in the tweet below:
Discord starts notifying 180 users affected by March data breach pic.twitter.com/Dl31ZFcaXn
— Robinhood (@hdbusinessman) August 29, 2023
Impact on Users
Discord’s data breaches have exposed millions of users’ personal information, including email addresses, chat logs, and attachments. This information can be used by hackers for phishing attacks, identity theft, and other malicious activities. Users who have been affected by these breaches should take steps to protect their accounts, including changing their passwords, monitoring their accounts for suspicious activity, and enabling two-factor authentication.
Are you curious about the new Xbox 8 strike rule? Microsoft recently announced a new enforcement policy for Xbox Live that will result in a permanent ban for players who receive eight strikes. Strikes are issued for a variety of reasons, including cheating, harassment, and hate speech.
Discord’s data breaches highlight the importance of cybersecurity and the need for companies to take proactive measures to protect their users’ personal information. While Discord has taken steps to address these breaches and notify affected users, it is important for users to take steps to protect their accounts and personal information.
By following best practices for cybersecurity, such as using strong passwords, enabling two-factor authentication, and monitoring accounts for suspicious activity, users can help protect themselves from the consequences of data breaches.